Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Wednesday, December 14, 2005

the invasion of Canada

Episode #7

by the light of the slivery moon


Final days in Calgary and the arrival of Brett Martin to Marcus and I's little circle, has made the axis of comedy evil, complete. His arrival signals the final stage of this invasion as he is expected to leave with me deep into the heart of British Columbia on Tuesday. It's a long drive and I have done it before, but never in the winter. There is an immense amount of anxiety regarding the road conditions that lead to the BC interior, so Brett and I are leaving a day early and will hope for the best. In the meantime, it's a rare moment where Brett, Marcus and I can actually hang out together, something we see very rarely since we first met, years ago.

Before I leave Calgary, the ongoing debate over whether or not I should move here is raised again and I am sure that this time, it's a good idea and probably. I was forced to open a Canadian banking account and the money I put in went up in value, in one day, when the Canadian dollar rose against the American Dollar so already I am making money here. Nothings says move here like, "have some free money".

------

The drive starts off as planned; Snow packed roads, loads of coffee and hockey talk with Hockey's funniest fan. Brett is good for hockey education and between he and Marcus, I have grown to become a rabid Calgary Flames fan. Even though my loyalty to them is purely hype created by constant brainwashing at the hands of Marcus and Brett. It worked and I find myself showing the Flames the same kind of love that I show Kansas Basketball... very, very odd.

Brett loves hockey so much you would think you were talking to the man who gave birth to it. I think he should probably write the Idiot's Guide to Hockey so that people that know people that love hockey can follow along with what they are saying when it is brought up in conversation. Of course, convincing Brett to do something constructive for his future is pretty hard, but eventually starvation will force him to do something and perhaps it will be this book.

----

The roads wind through the mountains and the roads are nasty. For some reason I am not driving with my normal cautious mentality and we are whipping down the road over snow and ice. The car, apparently more anxious than we are and sensing that I am not driving with much concern, is gripping the road like it was built to drive on snow and ice when tired drivers are behind the wheel. When we finally see Revelstoke, the roads have cleared up, the hockey lessons for this trip have cleared up and the plans regarding a move to Canada are taking shape. I can't say for sure that I am still sold on the idea, but things in the Forgottens have changed quite a bit and with the return of my brother from Iraq in January, I think my stay has reached the end. The oddest part about a move to Canada is Canada. It's a country of only 33 million spread out over an area that is twice the size of America, which has 350 million people. Canada makes it impossible to move here. They resist outsiders and I am beginning to think that I am going to have to hire a "mule" to take me across the border. Once in Canada, I will work in the fields and send every cent back home to my family so they can come and join me in the fields.

Moving isn't a new concept to me and sometimes it's the best way to really experience other parts of the world in high resolution. Visiting is nice, but you rarely get the clarity of the area and the people when you are transitory. My mother is fond of saying that you should live in different parts of the world for a minimum of a year to let the seasons cycle through with all of their seasonal celebrational offerings so that you can experience them and understand them. Then, move again. I have lived in quite a few corners of the world and I have seen the seasons change and I can't say that a year will really do it for some areas. Some places a year is 11 months too long, so it balances out. Calgary, or Montreal, both seem to call to me and I think it's time to see what I can do in one or both of those towns. I hear that Calgary celebrates their St. Patrick's Day in May. Isn't that odd?

This is bouncing around in my head as I turn north at Cache Creek and head up the majestic valley that ends in Alaska some two thousand miles away. This is the same valley I described in great detail in May when I was here last, however, this time, the valley is snow blasted which is covering the fine details of the land scape. With the dizziness of the long drive setting in, the world looks like it is covered with crystalized marshmallow. With a full moon out, the world is beautiful and it's bright enough to drive without headlights. It's just glorious. Each tree has been painted white with very little specks of evergreen poking out from underneath. The countour of the valley floor is smooth save for a few houses which are also covered with snow. I know they're houses as you can see glowing Christmas lights seeping through the heavy snow pack which sits on top of them. Flashing red and green. It looks like lightning in a summer storm cloud.

There is a full moon out and its shining bright off the snow. The mountains rise up slowly on the sides of the valley and they reflect the bright light of the moon creating a prism-like radiance everywhere. It's hard to watch the road in front of you when you have this view all around you.

Brett and I began to see the road dementia take us over and Williams Lake just seemed to appear out of nowhere. 13 hours of driving. Snow driving. Major life changes and the secret to hockey success wrapped up in a winter wonderland. This is what the world of touring comedy can be like - deep issues and brilliant landscapes. Should I move to Canada? I think so. I know everything I need to know about Hockey and I have seen the best that Canada can put forth to convince me that I should. There are a lot of other issues that need to be addressed first, but ultimately the selling point of any new location is what it can offer you emotionally and when you see what I have seen in this valley, how can you say no.

I have seen Canada in all of it's seasons and I have seen most of it's holiday traditions. Other than Boxing day and telling women that I played hockey so I can get laid, I have experienced Canada to it's fullest and now it's time for me to take part and not just play the role of tourist. Perhaps the snow will lose it's magic luster when it's a constant and a burden. I don't know, but without moving here, I will never know.