Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

amish challenge

The beauty of the Rockies in the spring time is immeasurable and driving through it is incredibly peaceful. This entire trip I have crept along at a snail's pace and I have done it with only the sound of the wind, the view from my window and my active mind to keep me company. That's either the Pony's influence on me or I am just too lazy to get out the Ipod and listen to music. The wind seems to be just the thing for this moment.

It's hot. Very hot. Upper 80's and that's pretty unseasonable for any time of year in the Pacific Northwest, especially Montana. Montana has been known to see a heavy snow in late June and this weather is just freaking out the perma-flannel denizens of the American Rockies. It's forcing me to keep the windows down a bit further than I normally like to have them and the wind is louder than usual. It's still very nice to feel a warm breeze on your face and in your hair... I think this is the Pony's doing.

I miss riding and I have stopped on this tour a few times to look at some bikes and take a ride on them if possible. It's a small fix for a larger problem but it will have to do until I get back to my own Pony. It would seem that there are bikes for sale all across the world and every one of those sellers will let you ride it as long as you want. This works out well for me. In the past two days I have been on four bikes; A Yamaha 650 twin - large and in charge bike and I loved it. A Kawasaki 125 dirt bike - a fun little light weight bike. A Yamaha 100 Enduro - a bit beat up but fun to open up and tear around on. And a Honda 650 twin - also large and in charge, but not as fancy or as fast as the Yamaha. (I might have to remember that for the future)

I could have toured on my bike, but it would have taken days to get here. The wind is blasting my face and deafening everything in the world to me, but I have nothing but riding on my mind, and it's making me grin all the time. With every biker I pass, a bit of bitter envy and immense joy overcomes me. Oh to ride through the mountains on a bike. I'm practically there now, the only difference is that I have windows and a seat belt.

I got to Missoula at show time and I didn't have time to do much before the show. No sneaky pete riding session in Missoula. Instead I just got ready for the show, went to the show, did the show and then came back to my room and went to bed. When I woke up, I realized that I hadn't touched the TV at all which is very odd for me. Usually you can use a motel/hotel TV to keep you company while in a strange place, like a piece of home that keeps you from feeling lonely, but I think that time and place in my life has past me by. I don't think I need to feel "familiar" when I am away anymore. This is my corner of the WORLD and I feel at home everywhere; Canada, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, and my beloved Washington. Perhaps what I should be seeking instead of needing to feel at home is a need to feel like I am on the road. That way I am being honest with myself about what I am doing and where I am. No little lies to get me through the rough spots. I guess the TV's of the world can just say silent.

In fact! Let's lay down the gauntlet. Now I know that most of you won't be able to do this, in fact, most of you are probably giggling at the prospect of what I am about to say, but let's just say it anyway...

CHALLENGE, should you choose to accept..

For one month... No, something easier for the weaker ones... For one week, no television at all. AND... No music in your home that isn't created by you. No radio. No tapes, CDs, Ipods, MP3 players. No music unless you make it. AND No internet. That's right, none. If you need to know what's going on, get a newspaper.

ONE WEEK. Starting Thursday. Seven full days of silence in your world. Just you and the basic world around you. Let's see how long it takes you before the lies start to creep into your head to convince you not to take this challenge because of blah, blah, blah.

I imagine that many of you will squirm and give in quickly. Many of you have wonderful, elaborate excuses why you can't do it and the fact that you "can't" is a pretty sad statement about you as a person. Perhaps you should think over some of your life choices again.

I'm sure that many of you are saying, "Will and Grace" has their final episode on Thursday. What about Hockey or Basketball or George Norrey? Doesn't it bother you that these things are important to you? Doesn't it bother you that you would give these things the weight that a junkie gives their drug of choice? Does that make you any better than a heroin junkie? (It would be interesting to see what's more destructive; Heroin or television. What do you think?) Do you find that part of your life attractive? Is your life worthy of all that was and is still being done to keep you alive? If you were in a car accident and it looked fatal for you, would your life be worth coming back for?

What are you going to do with yourself in that week? Read a book? Make your own music? Perhaps you will let the wind run through your hair. See what your mind comes up with when you let it work on it's own without any assistance. Let your body shift from mindless addict to the perfect self-gratification machine that it was designed to be. Just turn everything off around you and start playing with you. (that should inspire you)

The challenge is down. IF you choose to accept it, I don't expect you to read this blog until the following Thursday. I shall continue to write, but you will just have to catch up when the week is out. HEY, you might like the silence and the freedom. You never know. (this message will self-destruct in five seconds)