Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Friday, March 17, 2006

invasion of europe

Episode #4

The Griswalds

For all the reasons that I hated France, I love Germany. Of course, I am part German and I can suddenly see what all this "war" business was about. There is a strange urge to own this part of the world. What is it about Europe that has inspired so many men to fight to own it all? Was it hatred for the other nations? Was it for the French women (something I would start a war for) or was it for the beauty of the landscape? What is it that makes this corner of the world worth fighting so brutally for?

My mind is so tired, but my body is worse. For all of the reasons that I should stop and rest, my mind is pushing me forward with the thrill of Europe and history. I can't stop. Today, I will stop though, I have no choice. My legs and feet are no longer working. Specifically the knees which don't bend and make me look like I have some genetic defect in my legs when I walk, it's funny to me, but not to others walking behind me. Especially when my bag hits them or knocks them down.

While traveling I have seen some lovely clothes and it makes me want them. There is a side of me that wants to buy some of the clothes that I see the people wearing. However, I know the second I do, I will end up looking like Clark Griswald from European Vacation and an even more obnoxious American ass, so I keep brushing off the urges. But wow are some of these clothes stunning. If its true that Europe leads the way in fashion then we have cowboy boots and striped tights to look forward to in the future. They're for women too.

I got off the train in Frankfurt only to be told to get back on and ride it to Ramstein. It's a cheap ticket, and the dude at the counter keeps telling me that it's a short trip IF I MAKE THE CONNECTIONS in BURGER-STEIN-HANS-GRUBER-IS-DE-KIL-LER. If I don't, then it's going to be another all day affair. The trains here are always on time or it's the ovens for the driver.

It turned out to be another all day affair and a busy day at the ovens.

I haven't showered since I first arrived on Tuesday morning in Amsterdam. Since then I have been on two trains, toured Amsterdam, Paris, and Frankfurt, slept in a train station, on a train. I was wheeled through the streets of Paris in a wheel chair carrying a large back pack. I have eaten thai food once, more bread and cheese than people in a homeless shelter, drank gallons of bottled water, become addicted to carrot juice. Expelled five million gallons of sweat, mostly in my sleep. Not pooped once. And I have yet to relax. I in good spirits for missing trains.

Especially when those trains are locals that carry school children from the central school to their tiny villages. The central school is usually huge and the villages can be hours away by train. These kids are dedicated and smart, they would have to be to find the right train every morning. (nothing here is in English and very hard to understand)

Normally a train full of children would be my worst nightmare, but German children, are lovely. If we ever do start ridding the world of children, none of them will be named Agustus Gloop. These kids rock. Well behaved. Fans of punk, goth and all things rowdy. I love them.

Up to this point I was formulating a plan very similar to the Guns for cash program that the police like to do every now and then. In my plan, families can trade in their unwanted kids for money, and the unwanted kids will be used for food to feed all those neglected and starving animals that everyone seems to love so much.... It's win-win.

The German countryside is perfect. It looks a lot like home which may be why I feel better. My lymph nodes in my neck are no longer swollen and I can stand up without tipping over, which in nice. Food actually tastes good and I don't puke it up moments later. (which makes most of my fellow train compartment passengers feel good too) So I am enjoying Germany.

There is nothing green here yet. The trees are without leaves and the grass is brown, but the land usage here, and this seems to go for all of Europe really, is divine. Whenever possible, a small garden or a large garden has been planted. It seems like an art form around here and it's lovely to see a full family working one small plot. These families live in a city and come here together to tend this family plot. I love that idea.

The larger areas of the country side are covered with other crops, but the one that stands out is the vinyards. Tons of them. Nothing growing yet, but the season is coming. As far as you can see down the twisting valleys all you see are small villages with orange tiled roofs sprinkled on large producing fields. It's lovely.

First castle sighting. Not much, just a small one, but a castle is a castle. I have no other information about it other than to say, never jump up and down and point at a castle when you are on a train full of children that are worried about you in the first place. It gives them a moment of pause. And these children can talk to the men in green. The men in green are the armed, gestapo like police force. They love to stop and ask questions like, "juden?"

I get to Ramstein at five. I get to the hotel at five fifteen. I bath until six. I throw away the clothes I was wearing. I am in my weird German bed and asleep before my head hits the pillow.

I am alive. The worst of the ailment has passed but the dizziness has remained and is making my life hell. I know that many people want me to stop, but understand - if this is serious, then I am doing the right thing. I am seeing what I want to see. I am experiencing what I want to experience. I am eating what I want to eat and I am doing it alone ( okay that one I don't like) but I need to do it. The dizzy part of my day took my smoking, my memory and my writing. I want to soak this part up.

I have two days in Ramstein then it's off to Italy. Which is warmer. I think.