Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

guest writer - angela, the strange but polite canadian

Coffee: More Than Just a Drink

Caffeine is probably the most commonly used drug by people worldwide. Coffee, typically rich in caffeine, has been long been used as a medication, or as a means of stimulating the brain. More importantly, coffee is frequently used as a social lubricant, probably more often than alcohol. It is the versatile drink that can start off the day, be a reason to have a break from work, follow a meal, or be first date material. Coffee makes a statement about the drinker. That’s a pretty impressive feat for a little bean.

It seems to me that coffee shops have populated quite heavily over the past 25 years. The strong presence of cafes in North America has seen a shift in how we include caffeine consumption in our daily lives. There are a few alternatives on the menu for the few non-coffee drinkers, but coffee is king. The coffee shop is now a meeting place for a wide range of people, and many are now open 24-hours a day. The caffeine depraved, the lonely, the bored, the insomniacs, the students, and the night owls all have a place to socialize.

There is probably a type of coffee to suit most people’s preferences out there, ranging from strong blends to mild blends, the cheap stuff to gourmet grounds. The flavors can range from Irish cream to French vanilla to Mocha, depending on what titillates your palette. There are decaffeinated coffees, and even a type made from bat droppings. If someone grew it, then someone will probably brew it.

The emergence of designer coffee shops has turned drinking coffee into an almost status activity: do you drink your coffee at Star Bucks or Dunkin’ Donuts, at Second Cup or Tim Horton’s? In the past, the thought of paying $5.00 for a cup of coffee would be laughable; today, it is a symbol of social ranking and financial status. But I suspect that you are probably paying for the plush seating and decorative artwork, not the contents of your cup.

Personally, I have never had a cup of coffee, which makes me a rare social minority. People are shocked when they discover this, and often ask me in an urgent and hushed tone that they reserve for a social deviant like me, “why don’t you drink coffee?” as they try to pressure me to conform. From my observations, coffee can lead to a caffeine addiction, can make people’s breathe smell bad, causes one to have to pee and poop, it can burn you if you are not careful, and it stains one’s teeth.

My whole family drinks coffee, but I never really felt a desire to start- the smell does not appeal to me. My father used to drink 15 to 20 cups a day, and I would watch as he downed mug after mug of the dark brown liquid. His coffee mug was stained a dark brownish-black, and I can only imagine what it did inside his body. When I learned in health class that too much coffee is not good for you, as it can raise cholesterol and irritate the urinary system, I invited my father to drink water.

“I’m not drinking water, Angie- fish fuck in water!” was his gruff reply.
“But Dad, don’t you need water to make coffee?”
“Smart ass…”

I think it would be fair to say that coffee holds a lot of significance for the majority contemporary social interaction; it just doesn’t influence me in the same way it does others. The world looks different from my non-coffee point of view, and I think I’ll stick to good old fashion conversation to lubricate my social interactions, and get my caffeine from other sources. Besides, nothing stimulates a conversation than someone not willing to conform…