Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

the writing process

It's just there. I don't give these entries a lot of thought. The short story is this; Near the end of the day, something will pop in my head and will just stick. I can never tell why one phrase, object or idea catches on and another one doesn't. I would like to be able to write about deeper political issues or something relevant like that, but those ideas rarely stick in my head. Lint screen, that sticks in my head.

I get up in the morning with no idea what I am going to write about. I have some coffee, do some morning chores, then drive into town to use the wireless internet at the cafe. I read emails, some I save, most I delete, then I check some web sites for relevant information that seems to bother me, then I enter this site and print the title of the blog. Most of them start off with the phrase that was stuck in my crow. LINT SCREEN. I start to write about lint screens. It comes pretty fast and I don't stop for spelling, grammar or sentence structure. It usually takes me ten to twenty minutes to post.

The process by which the stories take shape is pretty simple. I start with the item in my crow, start writing and, without fail, I will start writing about something else. The last third of the writing is how I got from point A to point B. That's it. That's all I do.

I use spell check now and I do go back and try to edit as much as I can. It's still not perfect and I know that, but I like it.

I get a lot of emails that ask me about my agenda, my plan, my visions or my goals. There seems to be some belief that what I am doing here has a deeper message. I will admit to writing some posts trying to be cleaver and creating a metaphor or two. However, I always fail to get that message across. Those days that I am trying to be cleaver are the days that someone will email me and tell me some completely different meaning to my writing than the one I had intended. It's pretty shocking sometimes. I would have never seen it that way and it always makes me nervous when someone tells me that they got something different than what was intended.

Some would argue that I am trying to push buttons and make you think and this is correct. However, I do not think that every reader is going to fall in line with my way of thinking, living or believing. I am putting myself out there and I hope that will inspire others to do the same.

It's late and I am posting against the grain of my schedule. 5 tons of hay have been stacked and there is much more to come. I'm hungry and I need to jack off or start cruising the grocery store for lonely housewives. Hey, they have food there!