Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

the invasion of america - day one

And so it begins.

The pre-trip went off without any major disasters and even the shows were decent. The weather got warmer (45 degrees warmer) and I was able to make it back to the Perch, via the interstate, in 5 hours. It's not the preferred method of bike travel but I was pressed for time and didn't want to lollygag. I was so anxious about what I needed to get done before the trip that I didn't really want to take the time to take in any of the scenery. I have seen it before and I will see it again soon, so why bother. I do remember that it was hot. And as much as I tried, I still couldn't overlook all that scenery. I am not sure if any of you have seen the Columbia river, but it's one of the best rivers around. It has many incarnations along its route. In Canada it's surrounded by towering pines and near it's entrance into the Pacific it's surrounded by enormous cliffs covered with waterfalls and lime green moss. It's very nice. In central Washington, the Columbia cuts through a desert. Imagine the images you have seen of the Grand Canyon and now fill it half way up with water. That's the Columbia. In central Washington it's dry, dry, dry and then there is a huge canyon filled with enough water for everyone in the world to live off of for ten years. It's amazing to see.

I got home and I hit the ground running. My pre-trip taught me that there are just some things that are just not "on the list" and will probably be staying behind. Most notably is the video camera. If I was more comfortable with it I would be willing to take it, but right now it's value doesn't exceed the cost of space. The same is almost true for my new riding jacket. I love it, but I don't think I can afford the space and I might have to leave it behind. (wimper, wimper, sniff, muffled cry)

The list of what I have to do is small but very serious. There is a huge need to get everything I need onto the bike to see if it all fits (it does) and then to see if it's too heavy (it isn't) and then to see how quickly I can access certain things when I need them (not at all). I was going to spend all day Sunday testing this out, then maybe washing the bike and servicing some little details and then I was going to relax and spend the rest of the time with friends saying goodbye.

My mother showed up.

She needed a place to crash for the night and so I offered her the bed. She went to bed at 9 so I spent the evening tiptoeing around my apartment in silence, getting things ready. I was in bed by 2:30 and not much other than a bigger mess was accomplished.

Monday was a holiday and so not much was open. I had some minor purchases to get out of the way and I had some financial phone bill problems that needed addressing before I leave town. None of which I could do while antique shopping with my mother. Half of Monday was spent with my mother and the last minute details of the trip were really beginning to look like they were going to truely be - last minute. By the time I finally got back to addressing the trip, it was late in the afternoon and I really didn't want to deal with packing and repacking. I had promised myself that I was going to relax on Monday and get to bed early. At least I got to spend the last night in my bed.

In the five months that I have lived here, I have never had anyone stay the night. Not because I didn't want any guests, but no one has asked me before. My door is always open to anyone. In the only four days that I wanted and needed to be alone to get this work done - I had house guests. Just when I think I can control the world around me, I am reminded that it's impossible to do so. Excellent timing.

AND SO NOW IT BEGINS....

It's taken three months of planning. Three months of hard work. A day job that never panned out. A lot of comedy. Begging, pleading and pandering. It's been a rollercoaster of emotions. It's been a lot of harsh lessons learned. I seen the nature of my friend's hearts both good and bad. I have been humbled and I have been filled with pride. There has been anxiety, ambition and all kinds of absolutes, and I believe that I am ready.

Noon, At the Perch in Tacoma, Washington. 9,648 miles to go. Day One.

Today and tomorrow -

I am riding to Wenatchee with the other act, Mike. We will take Hwy 2 and it should take us about 5 hours to get there. Tomorrow, we will ride south along the Columbia, from Wenatchee to the Tri-cities and then across Hwy 20 through Dayton to Lewiston, Idaho. Along the way we will get to see beauty like beauty you only see through the stingy lens of a master photographer. Mountains that refuse to give up their snow, no matter what time of year. Trees that have survived fire, drought and humans and are filled with character. Rivers with water so clear you'll feel like you have to jump in to baptize yourself in it's purity otherwise you would be cheating yourself. Deserts that smell of smoke and sage. And the Forgottens - a bit burned around the edges, but still the prettiest mountains around.

Photos are being taken a pretty furious clip so expect to see them along the way. As I write this I am surrounded by "My world" of tiny little soaps and collapsible cups. Coffee singles and water proof matches. Clean, dry socks and vitamins. And a desire.

And so.... It begins.