Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Monday, June 05, 2006

passion fruit

The world around me is made up of keys. Each key has a symbol which can release a small part of my magic onto the world. You may not see what I see when I look at these machines, but perhaps if you think about it long enough...



This is my father's Royal Typewriter. It contains cigarette ashes and food crumbs and was used so much that keys had to be replaced. He was an avid writer himself. Perhaps that's where it comes from. It's the need for this machine's preservation that started the collection of other machines.
ROYAL






This is the machine that could get me laid if there were sexy, hot typewriter collectors out there. I love this one.
ROYAL










You're gonna see a trend with my lust. This is also a Royal. I call this my missing link as it is incredibly large for a portable, much like the early versions, but it's incased like the latter versions. It's one of the first soft touches and the keys are glass.
ROYAL







This is a newer addition to the fold. It's an extended carriage Olympia which is hard to find in the seedy underworld of typewriter collecting.
OLYMPIA










The old reliable. I wish I had more of the Smith Coronas, but people are stubborn about giving these up. I enjoy writing with this one a lot. If you ever see a smith corona that isn't electric, buy it on the spot and then email me and drive me crazy.
SMITH CORONA







This Underwood was purchased for a ridiculous amount of money. For some reason, people will keep a used sock that their great grandfather used for a jack off cum sock, but they will sell his favorite typewriter that is "taking up space in our house". This one was used to work on one of the first Seattle newspapers. It's in mint condition. Glass keys are all original.
UNDERWOOD





I love the fact that this beauty has a right hand carriage return slide. It's odd and beautiful. This is the oldest machine I own dating to around 1890.
REMINGTON









My tiny Tippa. The smallest and the fastest. It's loud and heavy and can put any laptop to shame with it's reliablity.
TIPPA.










A 1967 Underwood. The world changed and plastic becomes the norm. It's action is hard and ugly. I recommend this one to anyone that has dark poetry and angst to share.
UNDERWOOD.









The Italian Job. These are notorious for breaking and costing a lot to repair. The inner carriage house is as fragile as plastic fork.
OLIVETTI










Leave it to the Swiss to only make typewriters in one color and have that color be seafoam green. And leave it to the Swiss to name their typewriter the Hermes. After no one associated with language or typewriters. And leave it to typewriter collectors to prize these beauties more than Royals. (I have a hard time fitting in to any group)
HERMES.





Smith Corona loves to use casted metal. This is

mighty warrior in the battle against boredom. Every part can be removed individually and cleaned. I wish I knew how to do it.
SMITH CORONA








This comes with a faux wood grain slash metallic
facade. The big red button near the space bar is the first and only(?) space repeat button ever made. This was as advanced as machinery could get at the time. I'm sure every woman was crazy for the man with one of these beauties. Much like they are today.
WEBSTER.






The Olympia two ton. From the looks of it, this machine probably saw the most use. None of the keys are bent which is a common condition for over worked machines, but it's worn almost everywhere else. Even the carriage is thining out. It's fun to use those.
OLYMPIA.







How much do I like his one? If you point a gun at my friend's head's and said for me to hand over the typewriter or my friend gets it. I would be attending a funeral later that week. With my typewriter tucked safely under my arm.
SMITH CORONA.








This is where the babes are displayed so that I might gaze upon them in awe.
THE PERCH.












For my final photo I would like to show you the instruments in my grand symphony. If I could play them all at once, the music they would make could change the world.