Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

9:00 sunsets

There is so much on my mind and so many things going on, it's hard to concentrate from one moment to the next. However, I'm a professional blogger and I will try to pull it together...

...for the fans.

First - There is some local legend or myth that floats around that says that it never gets hot in the Pacific Northwest. I'm not sure who started that foul rumor, but they should be shot just like the person who started the rumor that it always rains here. And while we're at it; we could bury the naysayer that always says, don't move there, it's too (insert urban anxiety here)!

On my first day of working outside, temperatures reached 95. I almost died out there. Such a perfect way to start off a new job. I'm dying just remembering it.

My first day started so early that I didn't even realize that most of my day had slipped by the time the sun was up. But it wasn't enough to protect me wholly from the ungodly torture that would be the rest-of-the-day sun.

In the early morning I went to a nursery that is around four football fields in size and is situated in a natural valley so that you can see everything that is available for purchase, at any time, from anywhere, by just staring down or across the valley. It's enormous and incredibly beautiful and it smelled like women. The only real draw back to the nursery was that it was run by Mexicans and lesbians and neither group was particularly pleased with the odd weather and were pretty cranky, thus, not helpful or smiling. This didn't help my fantasies of the place and with all the aromas and scenery, I was hoping for more from the human element.

The rest of the day, as I planted trees and flowering bushes, I kept thinking about how tired I was and if I was made of the right stuff to see this job choice to the end. 11 weeks is a long time and I'm not in the greatest of shape. Not to mention that I am as white as alibinos get at the moment. Do I have the stuff? I hope so. It's not the same work I am used to from the forgottens, but I'll use those memories to get me through.

Everyone that asks I tell that I am working a legit job now. As if I were a criminal before and this manual labor was a sign that I wanted to walk the line from this point on. Of course, comedy is far from criminal, but somehow I still feel that saying, "I'm legit" is still fitting somehow.

I got off early enough to take a cold shower and suck out the boiling sun from my skin. Not being an underwear person the heat can be pretty mean to the body and particularly harsh on the goodies. In fact, the sun was so hot that I had "the runs" all day. Sadly the only bathroom we have is a port-a-pottie on the work site and it's more a home for spiders than a toilet. The sun beat down on that tiny prison all day and it was pretty rank by day's end. I think the spiders have decided to let me have the shack and to move on to more pleasing accomodations. Yes, it was bad enough that I scared spiders away.

After my shower, I stared off into the sun and watched it set over the harbor. I wanted to get to sleep before 8, but the sun was so high in the sky, it took another two hours before I could find peace enough to sleep. Thankfully, the once cruel and demanding sun that had abused me all day, turned and became the slow, yellow summer sun that I love so much. That sun took pity on me and let me enjoy it's peaceful decent into the horizon. I thought I could hear cackling as it set...

I could rant on for hours about the beauty of the summer sun and the power of a long day's journey into night, but I think you know what I would say and my brain is too tired to try.

So with a burn on my shoulders, and a smile on my face, I fell asleep... thinking only of underwear.