Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Sunday, September 18, 2005

every bike ride is uphill

Riding into town on a foot powered bicycle is a great deal of fun and something I wish I had done more of this year. The first year I was here, I rode into town twice or even three times a day and I got it down to a five minute ride, one way. Of course, that is going into town. The ride home is an evil journey that is riddled with invisible inclines and harsh head winds. The pedals seem like they need oiling and the bike seems to have taken on some weight. It's laborious, but you have no choice. The real test of your resolve comes at the end of trip three, not only does your body not like you, but you start to question your own decision making.

I take for granted the gradient of the world's roads as I drive across them. I see open road, I see curves to the left and the right, I see hills that go up and I see hills that go down. That's all there is when I am in a car. It's just a pathway that I can travel on. When you are forced to walk down those same roads say, because you ran out of gas, those roads become a whole new world. Each step you feel the rise and fall of the landscape and you see the twisting and bending of the asphalt that was built into the road to keep your car from flying off into the ditch. It never feels like a great time when you are forced to walk it, especially under those circumstances, but if you just walk it for you, then you can really kind of enjoy the trek.

Bike riding is something that seemed so daunting to me as a child. I can remember being completely fascinated by my older brother's ability to ride a bike and feeling that I would never be able to accomplish such a feat myself. Of course, years later, I can't imagine life without bike riding in it. I can not name one person that has never ridden a bike. (okay, handicap people don't count here.. And some of them have) Bike riding is a glorious way to enjoy the world. It's not as fast as a car, and there is little to no noise to interrupt the joy. It's faster than walking which satisfies the need that the mind has for making progress (walking, crawling and running seem to lag on for hours and never really quench your desire for accomplishment)

What I truly enjoy about bike riding is exactly what I hate about it the most, the wind. Wind in your hair, wind on your face and wind slowing you down. I am the man that likes to travel the path of least resistance. I have tried to live a complete life free of nature's challenges. Sadly, I can not escape the wind. I'm sure if I was on a sailboat and it was a long way to shore, I would love the wind. I'm sure if I was flying a kite I would appreciate some assistance. However, when I am riding down a road, trying to enjoy the world around me and the path ahead seems to be an endless incline, I don't need the wind to blow against my face. I don't need the dirt in my eyes and I don't need the breeze to cool my body. I need that fucking wind behind me getting me where I need to go!

Before the endless cold of winter has taken hold, I suggest you get out and give your bike riding skills a try. Notice the rust in your movements which indicate the weathering of your body. Notice the lack of balance that you used to have in abdundance. Again, a sign of the wear and tear. Get out and let the pedals fly. Get some grease on you and let the wind blow it off.