Daniel

Color commentary from the forgotten mountains

My Photo
Name:
Location: The Cave, Kansas, United States

Saturday, April 23, 2005

quicksand

There are a million unsolved mysteries in the world today, and there are shows all over cable that spend millions of production dollars exploring each and everyone. They rarely do a good job and there always seems to be a biased toward whether or not they believe in it or not. For example, CBS believes Oswald killed Kennedy and spent five million to prove it could be done. The discovery channel would rather explore the people that believe in Bigfoot than in whether or not bigfoot is actually a real "thing". That kind of thing....

I don't believe in quicksand. And I have never seen a show dedicated to proving or disproving it's existence. I grew up watching movies where quicksand was real, and I developed a healthy fear of every running into it. But, I have never seen it, never met anyone who has seen it, never read any news story about someone dying or getting stuck in it. OR any news story that shows footage of it.

I grew up thinking this stuff was a bottomless pit of death. That if you feel in, you were doomed. There was no escape, whatsoever. (unless you have an animal that can pull you out, humans are completely useless in pulling other humans out of quicksand) I have walked carefully around different deserts, jungles and beaches and I have yet to see anything that resembles quicksand, and I know why....

If you mix sand and water, the sand falls to the bottom, making a soft bottomed puddle. If you mix soil and water, you get mud or another soft bottomed puddle. There is no physical way to mix water and earth and get floating earth that would resemble the quicksand of my fearful youth. There is no way.

The great scandal of all of this is not it's existence or not, it's the propoganda that it really DOES exist. Ask anyone, ask yourself. You believe it, don't you? But you have never seen it, met anyone, etc. But yet, you believe. How strong the belief is but if you think about it, you too will realize that it could never be.

I know you are expecting some tie in with some social, sexual, mental or psychological parallel, but there isn't. This story is about quicksand. Sort of like our future being so bright that....